If you enjoy diffusing essential oils in your home as much as I do, you are going to love what I’m sharing with you today. Wait until you see how easy it is to make a DIY diffuser with Himalayan salt! This might be the easiest DIY I’ve shared yet!
The best part about these diffusers is that the need for electricity and water is eliminated. You heard that right! With Himalayan salt diffusers, remembering to change the water is a thing of the past. Now I bet I’ve got your attention! These natural diffusers are a great way to enjoy the scent of your favorite seasonal oils in any room of your home. They are simply beautiful too!
Himalayan salt diffusers are a popular way to enjoy the benefits of salt therapy and aromatherapy at home. They are substantially less expensive than plug-in diffusers and very easy to make. With the holidays just around the corner, DIY diffusers with Himalayan salt also make great gifts for the loved ones in your life.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy. As always, thank you for supporting my blog.
Benefits of Using a Diffuser With Himalayan Salt
Himalayan salt diffusers offer a number of potential benefits, including:
- Improved air quality: Himalayan salt is known for its ability to attract and absorb pollutants from the air. This can help to improve indoor air quality and reduce the risk of respiratory problems.
- Reduced stress and anxiety: Aromatherapy has been shown to be effective in reducing stress and anxiety. Diffusing essential oils such as lavender, chamomile, and ylang-ylang can help to create a calming and relaxing environment.
- Improved sleep: Himalayan salt diffusers can also help to improve sleep quality. The negative ions produced by the salt can help to relax the body and mind, and the essential oils can promote restful sleep.
- Boost energy levels: Some essential oils, such as peppermint and rosemary, can help to boost energy levels and improve alertness. Diffusing these oils in the morning can help you to start your day off on the right foot.
In addition to these benefits, Himalayan salt diffusers are also a beautiful and decorative addition to any home. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so you can find one that perfectly complements your décor.
Items Needed to Make a Diffuser With Himalayan Salt
To make a Himalayan salt diffuser, you will need:
- Course Himalayan salt (I used about 1/4 – 1/2 cup in each of my jars depending on their size.)
- Essential oil(s) of your choice (Scroll below for some lovely oil blend suggestions!)
- Small jars or bowls (I used some that I found at Dollar Tree.)
- A small bowl (Used for mixing the salt and essential oils)
- A spoon (Used for stirring the oils in the salt, especially for oils that shouldn’t be applied topically.)
- A candle – tea light, votive, or small pillar (This is optional, but recommended.)
How to Make a Diffuser With Himalayan Salt
1. Place the votive candle in the jar or bowl that’s being used for the diffuser. Fill the space around the candle with Himalayan salt until it’s about halfway up the candle from the bottom of the vessel. (If using a tea light, skip this step.)
2. Remove the candle and pour the salt into the bowl being used to mix the oils and salt. If using a tea light measure the amount of salt needed to fill the jar or bowl 1/3 – 1/2 the way up and pour it into the mixing bowl.
3. Add a few drops of essential oil to the salt and stir with a spoon to combine.* I used about 5 drops of oil in each of my diffusers. If you want a strong scent, you can add more to your liking. I suggest using 10 drops max for 1/4 – 1/2 cup of salt.
4. Place your candle back in the jar or bowl. It should rest flat on the bottom. Spoon your salt mixture around the candle until the salt comes about halfway up the candle’s side. If using a tea light press it into the center of the salt and make sure it’s level so the candle burns evenly.
5. Light the candle let the heat warm the salt and diffuse the essential oils into the air.
* No need to add water or a carrier oil.
Fill Your Home With Salt And Aroma Therapy
Every so often, give the salts a toss or a stir to kick-start the aroma. If you find the scent fading after a few days add a few more drops of essential oil in the salts.
You can place your Himalayan salt diffuser anywhere in your home, but it is especially beneficial to place it in your bedroom or living room, where you spend the most time. Other great areas of the home include:
- Kitchen Counter
- Bathroom Counter
- The side of the bathtub
- End tables
- Coffee table
- Entryway table – a lovely way to greet your guests!
Why Use Essential Oil Blends?
- They are more effective than single oils. Essential oils can work together to create a synergistic effect, which means that they are more effective when used together than they are when used alone. For example, a blend of lavender and chamomile is more effective for promoting relaxation than either oil alone.
- They are more versatile. Essential oil blends can be used for a variety of purposes, such as aromatherapy, massage, and topical application. For example, a blend of peppermint and eucalyptus can be used to clear sinuses, while a blend of lavender and ylang-ylang can be used to reduce stress.
- They are more complex. Essential oil blends can create a more complex and nuanced aroma than single oils. This can make them more enjoyable to use and more effective for aromatherapy.
A Few of My Favorite Essential Oil Blends
- Fresh Air Blend: 3 drops lemon, 2 drops lime, 2 drops peppermint
- Allergy Relief Blend: 2 drops lavender, 2 drops peppermint, 1 drop lemon
- New Beginnings Blend: 3 drops bergamot, 2 drops grapefruit, 1 drop rosemary
- Bug Repellent Blend: 3 drops citronella, 2 drops peppermint, 1 drop eucalyptus
- Cooling Mist Blend: 3 drops peppermint, 2 drops spearmint, 1 drop lavender
- Sunshine Blend: 3 drops orange, 2 drops lemon, 1 drop grapefruit
- Harvest Blend: 3 drops cinnamon bark, 2 drops clove, 1 drop nutmeg
- Immunity Booster Blend: 2 drops rosemary, 2 drops clove, 1 drop eucalyptus
- Cozy Cabin Blend: 3 drops pine, 2 drops fir, 1 drop cedarwood
- Holiday Blend: 3 drops cinnamon bark, 2 drops clove, 1 drop orange
- Respiratory Relief Blend: 2 drops eucalyptus, 2 drops peppermint, 1 drop lavender
- Stress Relief Blend: 3 drops lavender, 2 drops chamomile, 1 drop ylang-ylang
- Calm and Centered Blend: 3 drops lavender, 2 drops vetiver, 1 drop sandalwood
- Energy Boost Blend: 3 drops peppermint, 2 drops grapefruit, 1 drop lemon
- Focus Blend: 3 drops rosemary, 2 drops peppermint, 1 drop basil
The Benefits of Blends
- Improved mood and mental clarity: Essential oil blends containing citrus oils, such as orange, lemon, and grapefruit, can help to improve mood and mental clarity.
- Reduced stress and anxiety: Essential oil blends containing lavender, chamomile, and ylang-ylang can help to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Improved sleep quality: Essential oil blends containing lavender, vetiver, and chamomile can help to improve sleep quality.
- Reduced pain and inflammation: Essential oil blends containing peppermint, eucalyptus, and ginger can help to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Boosted immunity: Essential oil blends containing rosemary, clove, and eucalyptus can help to boost immunity.
It is important to note that essential oils are not a cure for any medical condition. However, they can be used as a complementary therapy to help manage symptoms and improve overall well-being.
Once you’re ready to switch up the scent in the diffuser, you can do so in a couple of different ways.
- Add in some drops of complimentary oils and give the salts a stir.
- My favorite way to switch up the scent is to draw a bath. Why you ask? Adding the Himalayan salts that are ready to be switched out is the perfect way to recycle them. Rest, relax, and enjoy the soothing aroma of the salts.
The Gift That Keeps on Giving
It’s no secret that I love to give handmade gifts to the ones I love. Whether you are looking for a gift for the holidays or for a gift for another special occasion, there is no denying that homemade gifts from the heart, made by hand are the best. The sentiment and thoughtfulness behind a gift made with someone’s own two hands is truly priceless.
These are a few of my favorites from the past that you may like to check out.
A DIY diffuser with Himalayan salt is perfect for a birthday, get-well, holiday, or host/hostess gift.
Using a Diffuser With Himalayan Salt Safely
It is important to use a Himalayan salt diffuser safely. Here are a few tips:
- Never leave a lit candle unattended.
- Place the diffuser on a heat-resistant surface.
- Keep the diffuser out of reach of children and pets.
- Do not add water to the diffuser.
- Clean the diffuser regularly to remove any dust or debris.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have any health concerns, be sure to consult with your doctor before using a Himalayan salt diffuser.
As always, thank you for joining me today. It’s always a pleasure to share with you. I hope you enjoy making a DIY diffuser with Himalayan salt (or a few) for your home too!
Stay up to date with all the latest happenings on the blog by subscribing to my newsletter here. I’d love for you to join me on Pinterest and Instagram too where I share lots of easy and beautiful DIYs, delicious recipes, and so much more!