Classic, timeless, inviting, and beautiful, this blue and white tablescape is perfect for entertaining all year round, especially during Summer.
This post may contain some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy. As always, thank you for supporting my blog.
Dining al fresco.
Summertime is the perfect time to enjoy dining outside. Warm wind blowing through the trees, birds singing, and as dusk approaches, the lightning bugs come out to play. Eating outdoors is always a special treat here on the farm and nature always creates the perfect atmosphere to enjoy family and friends gathered around the table.
Feeling blue (and white).
The color blue represents both the sky and the sea and is associated with open spaces. Blue conjures up a feeling of peacefulness, tranquility, and calmness in most people. It makes sense that many people love the color blue. The color white conveys a feeling of freshness, cleanliness, and simplicity. It often symbolizes a new beginning or a fresh start. With all the wonderful feelings that come from the colors blue and white, it makes sense that people are drawn to them. I know I am!
Summer evokes a feeling of relaxation for many. That is exactly how I want our guests to feel when they join us at the farm and gather around our table, relaxed and at home. Blue skies, peacefulness, freshness, and simplicity all make for a perfect evening with family and friends in the Summertime. They are also wonderful to use as inspiration when it comes to styling a table.
Organization is key.
When beginning to design a tablescape, there are a few steps to follow when creating a beautiful and cohesive look for the table. Being organized is the best way to start out designing a table setting. Here are some helpful organizational tips:
- Head to the pantry and cabinets to do an inventory of dishes, linens, serve ware, and table accessories. It’s always good to know what’s on hand. (Beautiful tablescapes can be made with pieces that you already have.)
- Determine a color scheme or theme for the tablescape. (In this case, it’s blue and white.)
- Don’t forget the little details. (A beautiful, inviting, and unique tablescape includes things like vessels of fresh or faux flowers, candles, napkin rings, and sometimes nameplates or printed menus.)
- Gather all the pieces to be used on the table. (Keep them close by the table to make setting the table quick and easy.)
Add a personal touch.
For this beautiful blue and white tablescape, I used plaster of paris floral napkin rings that I made. Having handmade pieces on the table is a wonderful way to add a personal touch for your guests and make them feel extra special. These Fall napkin rings are fun and easy to make too. After all, Fall is just around the corner! (Just kidding, keep enjoying Summer!)
How to set a beautiful (blue and white) tablescape.
- Start in the middle of the table. When setting a table, work from the center of the table out to the sides. (If using a tablecloth or table runner, lay that down first.)
- Begin setting out the place settings. If using chargers, they go under the dinner plates. Place the salad plates or bowls on top of the dinner plate. The layers of dishes should graduate from the largest on the bottom to the smallest on top.
- Next, lay out the napkins. (I like to use napkin rings.) If the place settings don’t have a bowl in them, I place the napkin in a ring on the salad plate. Not only does this make for a beautiful presentation, but it also makes it easy for guests to immediately place their napkins in their laps upon sitting down.
- If there are bowls in the place settings, it’s difficult to place the napkin and napkin ring on the bowl. Therefore, I like to put the napkin between the dinner plate and the salad plate. Fold it in thirds and lay it flat. This also makes for a beautiful presentation.
- Time to set the flatware. Forks on the left and knife and spoon(s) go on the right. In a casual place setting (which is all I do), the smaller fork (the salad fork) is on the outside of the larger fork (the dinner fork). The knife is on the opposite side of the dishware and the spoon is on the outside of it. If using a soup spoon (the larger one), it goes in the middle of the knife and the dessert spoon (the smaller one).
- Drinkware goes on the right with the water glass just above the knife and the wine glass to the right of it. If there are coffee and tea drinkers in the group, the cup goes on the outside of both the water and wine glasses, or it can be brought out after the meal when dessert is served.
The finishing touches.
Now that the table linens are laid out and the place settings are set, it’s time for the fun part! It’s time to decorate and add all the beautiful finishing touches to the table and the dining area.
- Flowers: Everyone loves flowers. Whether they are fresh, faux, wild, or from the yard, flowers add beauty, color, and a touch of life to the table. They set a wonderful mood and add a touch of whimsy too. Try to tie in the color of the dishware or theme of your table setting with the flowers.
- Candles: Candles add a warm and inviting ambiance to the table, day or night. Tall taper candles create an elegant look, votive candles are beautiful for a casual look, and pillar candles are lovely anytime.
- Garland: Another easy way to add beauty to the table is with garland. Laying a floral or green garland down the center of the table and sprinkling in candles and fairy lights creates a gorgeous table, especially in the evenings.
A good rule of thumb when it comes to centerpieces is to make sure they aren’t too tall. Encouraging conversation among the guests is important and it’s difficult to do that when the centerpieces get in the way of making eye contact. Also, remember to leave enough room on the table for the food. After all, aside from the great company, that is why everyone has gathered around.
Incorporating ribbon, plants, baskets, pillows, and blankets are another way to add special touches to a dining area, whether it’s indoors or outdoors. Each addition helps guests feel welcome and comfortable while enjoying delicious food, fun conversation, and wonderful company.
With this beautiful blue and white tablescape set, it’s time to invite family and friends over to gather around and enjoy time together this Summer! I hope this tablescape has inspired you to create your own at your home. I’d love to hear what you think about it in the comments below. Be sure to share a photo of your beautiful tablescapes with me too. Seeing what you create always makes my day!
If you enjoy tablescaping as much as I do, you may also enjoy these: